2. A guilty verdict was a possibility, though; but the jury could not find unanimity. A not guilty verdict was a great unlikeliness considering what was known about Cosby taking advantage of women who pursued him. The hung jury is, perhaps, an inevitable outcome in this confused case. Cosby’s reputation and fame have suffered enormously; he is an ailing man now. Is that enough punishment?
The Senate Health Care Bill
3. My son has needed a wheelchair since the age of 17 after a catastrophic brain injury. Medicaid has been his secondary insurance for 16 years but it is the primary reason I have been able to nurse him at home.
Medicaid in 2017 is the most cost effective and lean health coverage in the country. There is lots of oversight. We have shown all financial documentation to the state agency for 16 years: bank documents, tax returns, etc. If I pulled my son out of his wheelchair like the police did today at the Capitol, I might lose custody of my son to the state.
This comment received more than 700 reader recommendations.
4. If you want to see prices fall, let freedom reign. It has worked for the computer industry. It works in the cellphone industry. It works in the LASIK and cosmetic surgery vectors of the healthcare industry.
But if you want special treatment, if you think you deserve something for nothing — which is what all government programs are trying to achieve — then you are just a thief, because the only way to get something for nothing is by making everyone else pay something and get nothing. Which is why healthcare today costs so much.
Georgia House Race
5. The fact that it was so close in that district does signal that the winds are blowing a different direction. They just aren’t strong enough to knock anything down yet.
6. So, the election that Democrats, the NYT and pundits said would be a referendum on Trump went Trump’s way. Just like the presidential election that the NYT and pundits said he couldn’t win.
This comment received more than 100 reader recommendations.
Uber’s C.E.O. Resigns
7. Mr. Kalanick founded Uber for the profit and the bling. His idea was revolutionary, his goals were pure greed.
— Jose E. Romero in Guadalajara, Mexico, reacting to an article about the resignation of Uber’s C.E.O., Travis Kalanick.
How to Talk to Boys
8. There are people who still don’t understand that this is feminism. That we want to get rid of toxic masculinity just as much as misogyny.
We want our sons to be able to like pink and princesses just as much as our daughters love dinosaurs.
How frequently do we tell our sons not to cry and shush their emotions? We tell them to toughen up. We stunt their emotional health from childhood and then get pissed when they can’t express emotion as adult men.
Opting Out of College
9. The world needs welders and hairdressers too. There’s no shame in not going to college and I respect these people for making that choice. I think they probably chose the harder option, really. It’s tough in today’s environment to say no, I don’t want to go.
— Mr. Adams in Florida, reacting to an article about high school graduates who do not plan to go to college.
The Diagnosis of Death
10. My husband passed away at home, and the hardest part for us was the terminal agitation. Our hospice support told us that while the body is dying, the spirit is strong. I had to sleep wrapped around him so he wouldn’t get out of the bed while his mother slept on the ground to catch him if he fell.
It was tragic but one of the most profoundly beautiful moments of my life to be able to see him off with grace and dignity. The experience made me a better person and shaped the lives of my teenage boys. I will always be grateful. We should all go out with love around us.