Congressman Shot During Baseball Practice
2. The Left has really got to get a hold of itself. The increasing public use of profanity by media figures and politicians, the lack of tolerance for free speech, and increasingly violent confrontations with the opposition, and now, this obviously politically motivated gun attack, are leading the country to a state of chaos from which we may find too late we cannot pull back. Has the world gone mad? Is this the America we want?
— Stephen Colantti in Erie, Pa., reacting to an article about a lone gunman who opened fire on members of the Republican congressional baseball team at a practice field.
This comment received more than 1,700 reader recommendations.
3. Regrettably, this was bound to happen. The volatility Trump provoked during the Presidential campaign has turned American society into a pressure cooker.
‘Dreamers’ May Remain, for Now, in U.S.
4. This is great news for those that were brought here illegally as children through no fault of their own, were raised and educated here and know no other country. We cannot go back in time and reverse the illegal immigration practices committed by their parents nor can we consciously penalize these children for being placed in a predicament that was not part of their doing.
The decision to maintain DACA was a correct and moral one. Those that don’t support it should put themselves in the position of these children and reflect.
— A.A.F. in New York, reacting to an article about President Trump’s decision not to eliminate protections for the so-called Dreamers, for now.
5. Something for nothing. These Dreamers should be made to serve the country as thank you for the nation’s benevolence. The military has units that have many support roles like maintenance, laundry and cooks (if they don’t want to be trigger pullers). Also they can serve as teachers and mentors in the most disadvantaged of communities, sort of a national peace corps.
Texting Suicide Case
6. I have VERY mixed feelings about this. She seems like a cruel and manipulative individual, but I feel that a verdict such as this has a highly dangerous potential that makes the civil libertarian in me squirm.
— Brian Williams on The Times’s Facebook page, responding to an article about Michelle Carter, who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for sending a barrage of text messages to another teenager urging him to kill himself.
Megyn Kelly Interviews a Conspiracy Theorist
7. It fills me with an indescribable rage. I knew the father of one of the six year old children slaughtered. I attended the memorial. I saw the tiny coffin going into the ground. When I hear these idiots carrying on about how this never happened, these children never died, it insults their memories. It attempts to negate their short little lives. I truly can’t believe that idiocy like this is given a platform.
— Stephanie Waldorf on The Times’s Facebook page, responding to an article about Megan Kelly’s interview with the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who maintains that the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School was a hoax.
Warriors Win N.B.A. Title
8. Golden State brought me back to watching pro basketball again. They play the game as it is meant to be played with slick and deft passing, top-notch shooting, and equanimity amongst the players. Each player elevated the play of the others.
— Djembedrummer in Oregon, reacting to an article about the Golden State Warriors winning their second N.B.A. championship in three years.
A Glittering Prom for Flint
9. I am a proud Flint native, and my parents still live in the city.
I find it increasingly difficult to explain the complexities of my hometown to anyone outside the city. Flint is not just contaminated water.
I am so grateful for [the] gorgeous, joyous photos and videos showcasing the spirit, pride, struggles, hopes, and FIERCE STYLE of these young women and men of Flint.
— Adrienne Goering in Brooklyn, N.Y., reacting to an article about the senior prom of Northwestern High School in Flint, Mich., a city tainted by reports of its contaminated water.
Amazon to Buy Whole Foods
10. For that price, what’d they get? Two bags of granola?